Wednesday, March 26, 2014

I love all kinds of music

Well, most kinds of music. There are some genres that I just don't get, but I'm willing to give a good listen to anything that captures my attention. I admire singer/songwriters who can craft a good song. I'm a sucker for a good lyric, melody, rhythm, a good hook. I wrote a post a couple weeks back about hearing a song as background on a TV show, or in a commercial, and doing a little research to find out what it was. That's one way I've been introduced to new music.

Another is Muzak at work. No, not elevator music. A variety of old and new songs that make me envy whoever it is that gets to decide what to put on there. I'll hear a song, make note of some of the lyrics, and when I get home I'll use a site like Lyrster to try to find out the title and artist. With a little work I've discovered artists like Republic Tiger, Alela Diane, The Thrills, and Jupiter One.

Another way I've discovered new music (at least new to me) is Lost & Found Radio. Driving across KS from a bike tour in CO a couple years ago I found a program playing lots of interesting music. Luke Crampton hosts the show and plays hidden gems from artists you've certainly heard of, and some you've probably not. It's music that Luke thinks should have been a bigger hit. I was a faithful Sunday morning listener until Cumulus Radio dropped the show. Now it's back on Live 365 with new shows each Sunday, and podcasts of old shows available anytime.

When I lost Lost & Found, I found another radio show which I enjoyed too. This one's called The Acoustic Storm, and it's just what it sounds like; acoustic versions of some great songs. I don't like all the songs, but the ones I do like, I really like hearing this way.

Lastly, when we were convinced to re-install very basic cable from the folks who supply our internet service because the price would be less than just internet????????, a bonus was the Music Choice channels. If I'm home alone I'll turn on the adult alternative channel, turn the volume down low while I read, and if something catches my attention, write down the name of the artist and song.

If you turn up your speakers you can hear some of the music I like in the Grooveshark.com box in the sidebar under Road Tunes. If there's something you like that you think I might like, let me know and I'll check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment