Tuesday, November 15, 2011

nilsson schmilsson

I found a documentary on Netflix last week about the life and work of Harry Nilsson. It was fascinating! His biggest success was in the late 60's and early 70's. Most people fall into one of two categories regarding Nilsson: those who don't remember much about him, and those who loved his work. I fall into the latter group. My roommate had Nilsson Schmilsson when I was in my early twenties, and it was part of the background for many great parties.

Nilsson never toured, and worked on projects that interested him despite being wildly different from what brought him his biggest commercial success. He wrote the song "One",  which became a hit for Three Dog Night, but didn't write one of his biggest songs; he won a grammy for "Everybody's Talking", the theme from the 1969 movie "Midnight Cowboy".

He was famous for his partying, and he partied with some big names in the music business, including John Lennon, who called Harry his favorite artist. He died too young, from heart failure at the age of 53 in 1994. I was so enthralled with this movie that I rattled off several pieces of trivia for my wife, who then decided she didn't need to watch the movie for herself. So, thanks for letting me share with you. If you're interested, the documentary was called "Who is Harry Nilsson? (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him). Otherwise, enjoy some of my favorite Nilsson tunes on my Playlist.
picture borrowed from Amazon.com

1 comment:

  1. He also sang the theme song for "The Courtship of Eddie's Father".

    While I wasn't a huge fan, I enjoyed many of his songs. "Everybody's Talking" helped make "Midnight Cowboy" the iconic movie it is.

    ReplyDelete