Wednesday, January 13, 2010

crmbt 2010 - day 6

This winter has shown us more snow and cold than I can remember in the 22 years we've lived in Kansas. It has me seriously aching to get out on the road again. I've gotten back on the trainer, but even with the DVD player it is so boring. I bought an exercise ball to help strengthen my core. And I keep thinking about Mt Evans and the rest of the CRMBT that awaits me this August.

photo from: cyclepass.com
Following the rest day in Estes Park, day 6 brings Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park.
Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuous motorway in the United States and we'll travel more than 8 miles at elevations of more than 11,000 feet. Construction on the road started in 1926, and Trail Ridge Road opened in 1932. To accomplish it's purpose of a drive-able road across the continental divide through the park, the grades are generally less than 5%, and never more than 7%. About 24 miles from Estes Park we'll reach the highest point of the day at 12,183 feet.
From there it's all downhill to Grand Lake and on to our final night of the tour, camping in Granby. We still have a ride ahead of us to get back to where we started, but if I'm able to add Mt Evans and Trail Ridge Road to my cycling resume, I'll be a happy camper!

3 comments:

  1. I recognize that picture...been there. Do you know if there are people that ride the Colorado tours from the lower elevations...well I am sure there are...but have you had contact with them or heard how they manage the higher altitudes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in eastern KS, I think about 1300 feet. I have never had a real problem with the altitude. I have had friends who slowed, or even got a little light-headed and nauseous at high elevations. There are things you can do to help with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trail Ridge Road was on a tour I rode back in 2004. It was one of my single most spectacular rides ever in Colorado. I'm really anxious to do it again this year. It's cold up there, so dress accordingly!

    Merlin

    ReplyDelete