Wednesday, October 5, 2011

btc

Late last week, the Bicyle Tour of Colorado announced their route for 2012. The tour runs from June 17-23 and starts and finishes in Fort Collins, CO. I've never ridden in this part of Colorado, so I know nothing about the route except what BTC tells me, and what I can find on the web. Another interesting feature of this route is that one whole day, and parts of two others are spent in Wyoming! I'm sure that those will be beautiful days, so that's not a deal breaker.
This isn't the epic, many hard days with great climbs kind of route that BTC has used in years past. From Fort Collins to Laramie, WY features some climbing, but no high passes. Laramie to Saratoga goes over Snowy Range Pass at 10,840 feet. Before heading back into Colorado riders will climb Battle Pass at 9,955 feet. The day before the rest day in Steamboat Springs features 44 miles and gains only slightly more than 500 feet. From Steamboat Springs riders will tackle Rabbit Ears Pass at 9,426 feet, and the last day features a small climb over Cameron Pass at 10,276 feet before a long downhill into Fort Collins.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't bicycled in that area, but a few years back we explored that very area. We had our base camp at Wyoming's Curt Gowdy State park and expanded out from there with the truck. Sounds like a fun one!!

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no clue what those measurements would feel like while on a bike, but if it is downhill and you know how to ride'em, I say, I say, "Have a ball"!

    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete