Saturday, September 24, 2011

biking around kansas

Quite different from Biking Across Kansas. I had a couple hours to ride today and headed for one of my new favorites routes. It's a favorite because it offers bike lanes where the traffic is higher, and gets me to a spot about 10 miles from home in a roundabout fashion. Out and back ends up at a little more than 23 miles, and there are a few opportunities for side loops or figure-eights that can add some scenic miles fro a 25-30 miles loop if you have the time and are in the mood.
 After only 5 miles I can stop to admire this girl on her rural oasis in the middle of dozens of new subdivisions. If you're looking for a garage sale or a giant kid, this area is for you. After going west about 4 miles, I spend the next 6 miles going north, then west, then north, then west.....
This guy has startled me before. He's kind of cute, but makes a big noise. He was very cooperative today though,  as I tried to get a good picture. Maybe our relationship is growing.
I've driven by the intersection of two highways several times and never knew Honeywell was there, but if you get on the road less traveled, especially on a bike, you get to see so much more.
The roundabout ahead is the point where I turn around and head back the way I came, or take a right, head east, and make it a loop. If I have the time and the weather is good, I throw in one of those loops, and keep on riding. I've also used part of this route to get farther west or south to make it an even longer ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment