Saturday, July 9, 2011

keep turning the pedals

I was out the door by 6:00am today. I stopped back for a snack at 8:30. When I got home for good at 2:00pm, this is what my computer read:
I wanted to get a long ride in. I didn't plan for a century, but the weather was cool for the first few hours, and not too miserable after that. I reached a convenience store where I refilled water and ate some ice cream, and figured out that if I headed straight home I would have 76 miles in, or if I put in 12 miles south to Louisburg and back, it would get me to 100 miles. While I had the time, the weather was cooperating, and I felt pretty good, I thought I would go for it. I was sure glad to see home when it was over, but I was also glad to show that I'm not so far off being ready for Colorado next month.

Being on the road so early let me see this:
I saw a balloon floating through the cool morning  air.
I took this picture to show that not all parts of Kansas are flat.
 And I took some pictures of  livestock I passed along the way, but I didn't get one of the donkey that brayed at me so loudly that I was convinced the farmer had an air-horn to blow at passing cyclists.

Notice the shy one hiding behind the tail in the last shot.

6 comments:

  1. Also, 101.8 could very well have been the temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish that someday I'll be able to do 100 miles. Today I did 26 and I thought that was too much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karla, It sure felt like it might have been, but I was going to stop for a picture of the temp reading at the bank on 199th in Stanley, and it said 85 degrees! 85? Heat index is a bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done a century in years! Kudos. Love the pic of KS hills...never knew!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the miles. Those long rides feel good, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the century. Looks like a nice ride a some hills thrown in...didn't look flat.

    ReplyDelete